Depression is a debilitating condition that is very widespread in North America. A group of anti-depressant drugs called SSRIs are some of the most popularly prescribed medications in the United States and Canada. Recent research, however, is questioning both their safety and effectiveness.
A recent (2008) meta-analysis looked at over 50 clinical trials and concluded that the difference in improvement between anti-depressants and a placebo was not clinically significant, with the possible exception of the most severely depressed. And each of these drugs comes with a long list of serious side effects including (to name a few) insomnia, weight gain, fatigue, gastro-intestinal bleeding, Parkinson’s, and an increase in violent or suicidal behavior.
Fortunately there are safer and more effective natural solutions. The following factors need to be addressed with depression:
• Adrenal, thyroid and pituitary glands need to be supported and restored to normal function;
• Omega 3 EFAs from fish oil (especially DHA) are essential for rebuilding the nerve cell membranes so neurotransmitters can function effectively;
• Multi vitamin and mineral supplementation to reverse possible vitamin and trace mineral deficiencies;
• L-tryptophan and St. John’s Wort are safe and effective temporary measures to increase serotonin levels while the glands are being restored;
• Daily exercise is a simple way to boost serotonin levels.
People suffering from depression experience hopelessness and despair. I’m pleased to tell them there is hope, and that with a little effort the sun can shine once again in their life.
This article is intended for educational purposes only; for medical advice consult your licensed health practitioner.